24-year-old male professional athlete with an inversion injury
Stepped on another player’s foot and felt a pop in the ankle.
Long- and short-axis fat- and water-weighted images were performed. 1.5T High Field Oval.
- Effusion and hemarthrosis.
- Anterior talofibular ligament ruptured.
- Calcaneofibular ligament ruptured.
- Posterior talofibular ligament swollen but intact.
- High ankle and syndesmosis normal.
- Peroneal retinaculum torn.
- Peroneus longus and brevis normal.
- Medial tendon group normal.
- Anterior tendon group normal.
- Posterior tendon group normal.
- Subtalar ligaments abnormal:
- Talocalcaneal interosseous ligament intact.
- Cervical ligament ruptured.
- Inferolateral retinaculum or stem ligament torn.
- No fractures no OCDs and large os trigonum.
- Soft Tissues:
- Large anterolateral hematoma with soft tissue swelling.
Two part ankle sprain / rupture low ankle. High ankle spared. Hematoma. Subtalar ligamentous injury involving cervical and inferolateral ligamentous complex.
Try MRI Online Premium for free.
100+Mastery Series video courses
500+Expert case reviews
UnlimitedCME & SA-CME credits
Learn from world renowned radiologists anytime,
actice on real, high-yield cases with MRI Online Premium.